I can't believe Oliver is already 3 weeks old! I want to have some of the details of his birth written down before I forget everything.
Similar to Mason, we scheduled an induction for Oliver's birth. It made sense for us because it meant I could give my school an exact date for my sub to start, I had Mason all taken care of with grandparents, and my Dr. was going to be out of town for a couple of days leading up to my due date. The induction meant everything and everyone was taken care of, and that really put my mind at ease.
On October 7th we had to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM. We delivered Oliver at a different hospital than we did Mason because my Dr. had moved her practice since Mason was born. It didn't take long to get all signed in, in a room, and hooked up to monitors. We started with one nurse, but she left at 7. The labor and delivery nurse we had the rest of Oliver's birth was amazing. All of the nurses we had were really beyond wonderful!
Nick went a little overboard with the pictures, in case you can't tell. I told him people would never guess this was our second baby with the way he was snapping away!
My Dr. came in at 8:22 (Nick was taking notes, haha) to check on me, check on the pitocin, and break my water. She said she would be back at noon to check on me again, and she predicted we would have our baby boy by 2! I had told my nurse that I would probably get an epidural since I had gotten one with Mason. She said that as soon as my Dr. broke my water she was going to go ahead and call it in because my contractions would extremely more painful after my water was broken and with how the pitocin was. I am so glad she did!! Once my water was broken, my contractions were so intense and so close together. I only had to wait about 10 mins for the epidural and it kicked in within 10 mins. I have been pretty fortunate that with epidurals I still have a lot of sensation and can feel quite a bit, but I am not in pain. The nurse checked me at 9:25 and I was 5 cm.
Around 10:45 I told my nurse that I felt a lot of pressure, and I actually felt like I needed to push. I knew it was early, but I also knew something didn't feel quite right. She went ahead and checked me at 10:52, and we were shocked when she said I was at 10 cm and ready to push. She called my Dr. right away, and then she got me all set-up to start pushing Oliver out.
I could still slightly feel my contractions, so I knew when I was supposed to be pushing. I pushed through like two contractions, and then I made eye contact with my Dr. and told her I wasn't having a contraction but I had to push anyway. I felt so much pressure that I couldn't wait for a contraction to push again. She said she was ready and to just push as I needed to. I felt so much more for Oliver's birth than Mason's. It wasn't so much pain as it was discomfort, but I could tell what was going on. A couple of pushes later and Oliver Jude Santowski was born at 11:15 AM. Much before any of us thought he would be!
Our healthy baby boy was born at 11:15 weighing 7lbs. 1.5oz and measuring 20 3/4 inches. We were in love the minute he was born!
Once he was cleaned up, Nick went to the waiting room to go get Mason. He was incredibly sweet, and the first thing he said when he walked in was, "Where's my baby brother?".
The entire day was just perfect. We feel so blessed to have two wonderful, healthy boys. Welcome to the world Oliver Jude!
Our All-Time Favorite Podcasts
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment