Monday, May 5, 2014

Mama's Due with Baby Number 2!

We were getting asked all the time when we were going to have another baby.  And, to be perfectly honest, part of me kinda wanted to keep our little family of three.  Why couldn't Mason be an only child?  Was that really such a terrible thing?  I had always thought of having 3-4 kids, but we had a routine, things were easy, we were rocking being parents to an amazing little boy!  I couldn't help but think how nice it would be to just keep things the way they were.


However, I knew deep down that wasn't what I really wanted, and Nick made it clear that it was definitely not what he wanted.  We had a plan on when we would start 'trying' again.  Well, I changed schools and didn't want to be the new, pregnant teacher. (Been there, done that!  Not again!)  Nick changed jobs, got laid off because he was the newest employee, and then had to start another new job.  The timing wasn't what we thought it would be.


Once we were all settled with jobs and life again, we knew it was time!  Mason was getting older, and, of course, we were getting older.  I've mentioned before that I have PCOS.  It can really complicate the whole conceiving thing.  I was really worried this time around because my period had gotten unpredictable, and it was 48 days from start to start instead of 28.  I was freaking out that it would take forever and may not happen at all.  I decided to get the ovulation detectors that you pee on like a pregnancy test.  I went through almost an entire box only getting the empty circle, no smiley face inside.  I was worried that I wasn't ovulating because of my PCOS.  Finally, I got a smiley face!  We went for it and hoped and prayed that I would get pregnant since it would be at least a month and half before we could even try again.


Nick said he knew I was pregnant, he could feel it.  I kinda felt that way too, but I didn't want to get my hopes up.  I decided that since my periods were so far apart I couldn't wait that long to take a pregnancy test.  I bought a pregnancy test that was supposed be the one that could tell me the soonest.  I was shocked, overwhelmed, and ecstatic that it said 1-2 weeks pregnant!  I really wanted to do something fun to surprise Nick, but we were all at home and I couldn't hold it in.  I walked into the living room with the test in my hand and gave it to him.  He was just as shocked as I was, and then told me he was going to have to get a vasectomy!  We feel unbelievably blessed and grateful beyond measure that we have been able to get pregnant on the first try twice.  It just doesn't happen, and it really doesn't happen to people who have Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome!


I knew I needed to talk to my Dr. right away because with Mason I had to take a hormone because my body wasn't producing enough.  The hormone I was low on is what helps sustain the pregnancy and keep the baby growing until the placenta takes over.  I had a high change of miscarriage without it.  My Dr. had already told me that I needed to see her as soon as I got a positive pregnancy test so we could take care of this if it happened again.  My Dr. is amazing and I absolutely love her!  Apparently everyone else feels the way, and she was completely booked for the next two weeks, and then Nick and I were going to Belize for a 5 anniversary trip.  Her fabulous nurse told me not to freak out and that I could get blood work done at a lab near our house.  The blood work would tell them everything they needed to know, and I could see the nurse practitioner before our trip.


Sure enough, we had the same issue.  I started the hormone asap, saw Jenna the nurse practitioner, and everything seemed to be on track.  I still felt uneasy telling anyone until I was further along and had seen MY Dr.  Luckily, everything has been great!  This pregnancy is very similar to Mason's.  I haven't had any sickness.  I am so thankful for this!  No nausea, vomiting, heartburn, or anything else.  For whatever reason though, my thyroid level isn't where they want it, so I am currently on a thyroid medicine until they feel like it is at a good level for pregnancy.  We are overjoyed for our new addition and can't wait to find out the gender!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails